Monday 8 June 2009

Match 16 - Willoughby First and Second Years

Today's match at least ensured I got out of bed early! A 10.30 kick-off for this one after the Uni team had asked Willoughby to move the time of their first v second years game as they had a tournament taking place during the afternoon.

The first years, who I had refereed a couple of times during the year, had always struck me as a very good footballing side. They dominated possession for the first minute or so, and then promptly conceded a goal after a mix-up between the keeper and defender. 1-0 to the second years then. The first years had the lion's share of possession in the first half, and most of the play seemed to be in the half they were attacking. It took until two minutes before the break for them to snatch an equaliser. The half was one of the easiest I've refereed - I think there were only about three fouls for me to give! Along, of course, with the customary bits of advantage play.

Into the second half, and the first years struck the first blow in the 49th minute. There were muted claims that there had been a foul in the build up - I hadn't had a very clear view and Luke running the line gave nothing - he reckoned the defender fell over by himself. The half was much more even, and as it wore on began to flow from end to end with both teams having opportunities. However, the first years perhaps had the better of the chances, and extended their lead in the 68th minute despite claims of offside - Luke kept his flag down. An own goal in the 77th minute added a fourth goal for them and things were pretty comfortable. The second years scored with the last kick of the game but by then it was academic, and the first years completed a fairly comfortable 4-2 win.

It was not a testing game to referee - the most argument seemed to be over my lenient interpretation of handballs. The players generally just got on with it, and I tried to keep play flowing where I could. Altogether, an enjoyable morning's work. The right team won as well I think - the first years played some excellent passing football (although I won't deny the contribution the second year's made to the game).

No comments: