Wednesday 6 May 2009

Match 13 - Notts Uni XI vs IMS All-stars

For the second year running I was invited to take charge of this encounter, which pits a selection of players from the university teams against a selection of players from the intra-mural leagues. Last year, the game was a very relaxed affair, with the university team running out 7-1 winners.

This year's game seemed far more serious. Mike Round, the IMS football officer, had amassed a large squad of players from many of the IMS teams. I recognised several players from the Cripps, Newark, Nightingale and Broadgate Park freshers teams. They had something like 20-25 players, so finding people to run the line from them would prove no problem! I've no idea how many of the Uni team players were first-teamers, although I did recognise Mike Morenas, an ex-Nightingaler.

The IMS All-Stars started well. They competed for everything, and it was immediately obvious that it wouldn't be the walkover it was last year. In fact, it was IMS who took the lead in the 20th minute, and doubled it two minutes later as a free kick was cleared out to a player on the far side, who finished it very nicely. By the half-hour, it was 3-0! This was a real surprise, as I too had expected the Uni team to run out comfortable winners again. The IMS players had gelled really well and were working hard, even if some of the defending from the Uni team left a lot to be desired. However, by half-time the lead had been reduced to 3-2, with goals in the 35th and 41st minutes, the second shortly after we had had a break following a clash of heads - I don't think the IMS players had woken up after the stoppage! I didn't have a lot to do - perhaps I called a couple of things wrongly, but no major issues in the first half.

Mike decided that the only way to give everyone a game for IMS was to send out a completely different eleven for the second half. Whether they didn't perform quite as well or whether the Uni team improved dramatically I don't know, but it was 3-3 within 5 minutes. The Uni team had found their rhythm, and I have to admit it was a joy to watch. They weren't hoofing it up in the air - they were passing it along the ground, looking for space, constructing some nice moves, perhaps the 'beautiful game' at its best. Thats not to say the IMS players didn't contribute - they also gave a good account of themselves in a half of football which flowed from end-to-end virtually without stoppages. In terms of quality, it was one of the best I have refereed. I gave about half a dozen free kicks, but also tried to make my contribution to allowing a flowing game, and I could sit back and let the players do the talking. It was a great half of football to referee. The Uni team took the lead for the first time in the 63rd minute, and added their fifth in the 80th minute. There were hopes of an IMS comeback as they pulled one back to make it 5-4 with two minutes to go, but the two-goal advantage was restored shortly afterwards, and thats how things finished. The only incident of note as far as I was concerned was when a Uni player hit a shot, which the keeper tipped onto the crossbar and which then bounced down. The linesman wasn't in line to make any judgement, and I had no idea whether it had crossed the line, so I could only wave play on. We had had virtually no stoppages in the whole half, so I played just a minute of added time and then brought a most entertaining game of football to an end.

The game was one of the most straightforward I have refereed in my time at Nottingham. The players must take some credit for just getting on with the game - there were no arguments, no backchat and no confrontations. I would also like my share of the credit too(!) - for giving the game every opportunity to flow. The football was excellent, in particular in the second half, where I thought I got everything just about spot on. I whistled the clear fouls, and let everything else go. The assistants also contributed and helped me, with their interventions being just when necessary. While I suppose some might consider the game boring to referee because there is virtually nothing to do, I personally think that the referee should enjoy these kinds of games - I love football, and to see a good quality, flowing game is great. It balances out all the more difficult games anyhow! I'll be back in action again on Friday, and will return with another report then.

No comments: