Saturday 31 January 2009

Match 4 - Real Politik vs Florence Boot Old Boys

I've decided to start refereeing some Saturday games in the Intra-Mural leagues at Grove Farm, starting today. The game I got myself assigned to was the Politics society (inventively called Real Politik) against the old boys team from Florence Boot. FB were a little late arriving, and started with 10 men as we were already running late.

I thought Politics had the better of the opening 10 minutes. They seemed to be controlling play, although there wasn't a lot in it. FB were playing on the break up to their lone centre-forward, with reasonable effect. In fact it was from one such incident that the game turned in the 11th minute. The forward was running through and was unceremoniously fouled by the Politics goalkeeper. My immediate reaction was that it had taken place inside the area, and so I gave a penalty - I think it probably was, as the only complaints seemed to be some rather desperate ones from the Politics defenders, not borne out of any sense of real injustice. The penalty was scored.

FB then proceeded to control the rest of the first half. They added a second goal in the 35th minute, and there wasn't a lot for me to do - just the odd free kick here and there and I had to run the rule over throw ins (with there being no linesmen). Half-time came briefly, but no-one wanted to stand around in the freezing cold for too long!

With FB 2-0 up, the next goal was always going to be crucial. Unfortunately, I played a role in it too - one of the FB players played a cross-field pass which hit me as I was trying to dodge out of the way. I always try to predict where play will be going, but sometimes you are inevitably unsuccessful. Of course, having intercepted the ball, it fell to a Politics player and they went forward and scored! It happened to Howard Webb in an FA Cup game a few weeks ago, so it happens to the best of us!

The goal really came against the run of play. In the end it didn't prove crucial, as FB continued to control the game, adding a third in the 78th minute. Their fourth in the 87th minute completed their captain's hatrick - there was probably a push on a defender in the build-up, but I didn't see the contact and so played on, but by that stage it didn't matter. The heads of the Politics players had dropped, and FB added a fifth with the very last kick of the game to complete a 5-1 victory.

Overall, not on of my best games, but there you go - its often difficult returning after a long break. I'm convinced the penalty decision was right, and the best team won in the end - the Politics team had a lot of huff and puff but didn't really create any clearcut chances, while FB were well organised, led well by their captain and were dangerous in attack. I tried to let the players play and let the game flow, and was pretty successful in that respect.

So I'm back in the swing of things now then, and look forward to the next match on Wednesday!

No comments: