Wednesday 26 November 2008

Match 3 - Broadgate Park vs Cripps

I finally returned to refereeing action today after over a month since I was last in the middle. Doug's visit two weeks ago had given me the enthusiasm once again, and to top it all it was Cup quarter-final day. I find that one-off cup games are usually among the most entertaining, and this was no exception.

Luke was very upset that he had been turned down by Hugh Stu for their match with Derby. So we turned to Cripps' game, and they all recognised us both because of Doug's cardfest two weeks ago(!). I refereed and Luke was invited to run the line, and he couldn't be bothered to find his own match to referee and so he stayed with me. With a Broadgate sub running the other line, the Cup tie was underway.

After some early Cripps pressure, it was Broadgate who took the initiative. They took a 12th minute lead with a headed goal; there were muted claims that the ball had gone out of play but Luke was up with it and happy. Early goals are usually helpful, and can help play to settle down.

Cripps' reply was an equaliser within seven minutes. Now, if you ask them they will probably say it was a deliberate shot from the right hand side. I'll say it was more likely a cross which floated over the goalkeeper and into the net! Either way, the scores were level.

It was Broadgate, shooting uphill, who were having the better of play. Controversial moments were relatively few, with the only issues being around two challenges by Broadgate forwards who led with their foot up. They caught the Cripps goalkeeper and then a defender in the process, but I was happy that they were going for the ball and took no further action against either of them. I did, however, make a big call on the half-hour mark when I awarded Broadgate a penalty. It is unusual to say that a penalty was "coming", but it was in this game. Broadgate had two excellent forwards whose pace, ball control and passing were excellent, and I could see the tackles coming in and there being every possibility of them having their heels clipped and going down. In the end, the challenge was more blatant than that, with the Cripps goalkeeper taking out one of the forwards pretty unceremoniously. The attacker wasn't even going anywhere, so I didn't yellow card the keeper, although Luke thought I perhaps could have done. My instant reaction was penalty, and the ball didn't change course confirming that the keeper had got nowhere near it. The penalty was converted, and Broadgate led 2-1, and that was still the score 15 minutes later when I blew for half-time.

Things were going well, and I felt on top of things. Luke warned me of an ongoing confrontation between the Broadgate No. 2 and the Cripps central defender. They had just generally been on at each other through the first half. I said I'd keep an eye on it, although in the end Cripps switched markers to leave a different player marking him in the second half. The No. 2 was a good player, the tallest in that area of the pitch and winning most of the balls in the air. He also liked to talk, although most of it was harmless. He would be at the centre of things later on.

The second half got underway. Surprisingly, Broadgate started much the better, despite Cripps being 2-1 down. Cripps only got going towards the last 15 minutes. I felt I was firmly in control of things. I found myself talking to the players a lot more than I usually do, and this helped things. A joke here and there, a word in someone's ear, it was all good and I felt things were going really well. Cripps finally got going towards the end and it was becoming a great end-to-end cup tie.

Three incidents of note lay ahead of me. The first involved one of the Broadgate forwards. Luke flagged offside, and I was a little late noticing it, so he carried on running. The Cripps central defender then performed what Luke termed a 'pro evo tackle' on him, completely chopping him down. Had the ball been live at that point, it would have been a certain red card, with the attacker through on goal. As it was, I didn't have to send him off, although I wonder if I should still have booked him for the challenge. Both players were happy and we carried on.

Broadgate were a constant threat up front. They left one attacker up to chase after the clearances hoofed out of defence, and this proved very effective, keeping Cripps on the backfoot. From one such attack, the ball was blasted across the box and one of the Cripps players on the goalline stuck out a hand to it. For the first time in IMS I awarded a second penalty in one game. I thought Luke had shaken his head and wondered if I had made an error, but there was no complaint whatsoever from the defenders - my eyes hadn't deceived me! I did wonder if he should have received a card, but I'm not convinced he prevented a goal and the penalty was punishment enough. That said, the spot kick was saved by the Cripps keeper (although it wasn't a good penalty).

Things certainly got very tense towards the end as the verbal slanging escalated a little. It all started at one standard free kick in the Broadgate defence. The No. 2 who I mentioned earlier shouted something to his goalkeeper, clearly naming him, before a Cripps player (No. 7 I think) said to him "shut up, Craig David". The No. 2 did bear a passing resemblance to Craig David, but not massively so. He didn't seem overly bothered, so I let it pass. I didn't think it was particularly racist - perhaps others might have. I should maybe have booked the No. 7, but I let it go. Perhaps this was a mistake, as things then kicked off at a Cripps corner some minutes later, just as we entered stoppage time. I don't know exactly what started it, but the pair decided to start hurling insults at each other again. I was right on the spot and thought I would be able to keep a lid on it until one Cripps player came running back to get involved. I just blew my whistle continually and waited for it all to calm down. No blows had been struck, it had been pushing and shouting only, and so I decided to let it all calm down, and talk to all the players involved. When we eventually restarted with the corner, the penalty area was loaded with players, including the Cripps goalkeeper. Nothing came of it all, but I was still wary about making sure nothing started off during the stoppage time which remained.

I had intended to play four of five minutes of added time before this incident started. I figured it had taken at least two minutes to sort out, so in the end I played over seven. There had been a fair few stoppages through the half, and I think what I did in the end was a fair reflection of that. Cripps didn't really create any more chances and Broadgate had another penalty appeal which I turned down, before I brought the match to a conclusion, with Broadgate advancing with a 2-1 win.

In the end, after a fairly slow first half, I thought the match turned into a great cup tie with two fully committed teams. Conditions weren't ideal, but I think I allowed for this. I certainly gave the match as much of a chance as possible, and this probably helped it become an entertaining game. I felt it was always under control, but bubbling nicely with neither team lacking commitment. I thought I managed the game as well as I had any in my two and a bit years in Nottingham. The incidents at the end were regrettable, but I think I dealt with them as well as I could. You may realise that I could have ended up with at least six yellow cards for various offences in this game, but that is not my style and in the end I was consistent and did enough to keep the game under control. Aim achieved for me.

Altogether, a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. A great cup tie, and I thought I gave a performance as good as I have in my time so far at Nottingham. The game wasn't the easiest, but I got through everything well. Broadgate were the better team on the day and deserved their victory, and will go through to the Cup semi-final, where I think they will play Hugh Stu.

Before I finish, I must mention one dreadful incident which occured in an East Midlands Counties League Game on Saturday. Referee Andy Parker was assaulted five minutes from the end of the game between St Andrews and Gedling Miners Welfare. He was given a full on punch by one of the St Andrews players - the full story can be found here. Suffice to say it was a horrible incident, and as can be seen we may now lose another referee thanks to the incident. Referee recruitment is difficult as it is, so we don't need things like this happening. While I may have enjoyed my game today, Mr Parker may never referee again. Players need to think about their actions at times like these, because the game badly needs referees.

No comments: