Tuesday 7 October 2008

My season begins

Well, before I look forward to my own refereeing season beginning tomorrow, I'll make some brief (but belated) comments on the weekend's Premier League action. It was a much better weekend this weekend, with only three controversial incidents. Arsenal should have had a goal when the assistant flagged the ball out of play incorrectly in their match at Sunderland. Steve Bennett should have disallowed Manchester United's first goal at Blackburn for a foul by Nemanja Vidic on Jason Brown. Peter Walton correctly sent off Zabaleta at Manchester City vs Liverpool, but missed a bad challenge by Skrtel on Jo. Otherwise, a good weekend.

Tomorrow, the intra-mural football season here at Nottingham starts once again. The halls teams will all look forward to taking part in the largest such competition in the country, with the League, Cup and Plate once again up for grabs. I'm looking forward to it, unlike last year when I didn't really find much enthusiasm for the job. I guess its a matter of confidence as much as anything else, and confidence is something you certainly need as a referee. No doubt there will be controversy this year (as in the past two years), but I will simply do my best. I will, as always, try to keep a low profile, let the game flow, and clamp down only when things get dirty. I don't want to make myself the centre of attention - it is about the players and not me. I think this attitude is the only one you can adopt at this level - players get frustrated by an interfering referee. It is one which has, for the most part, been pretty successful during the past two years, and I think I am improving in my refereeing, so lets hope that this year I can continue to do so. In 15 hours, it'll all be underway once again - lets hope everyone enjoys the new season!

No comments: